Aim for satisfaction, not a salary

 We live in a world where we get rewarded financially the harder we work. If you're in a corporate environment, this is usually with bonuses and additional incentives to meet sales targets and earn commission. Competition breeds productivity, right? 

While we all love the idea of having more money and a slightly less financially-stressful life, is that the point? Is that why we work? Is that why we earned qualifications, degrees, worked 20hrs a day to make student dead-lines? Is that why we now adhere to an 8-5 schedule, with little to no time for ourselves?

I suppose for many, yes - that is why. Good education equals a good job equals a good salary equals financial stability. Are they satisfied with that life? I don't know - are you?

I have been in a space where I had nearly that, in a couple of small businesses - the stability was 50/50; small businesses in a growing economy don't have all that much security (a fact I face as a future small business owner). I've also spent a fair few years freelancing and working contracts, which was more rewarding in that I could take time for myself when I needed. It just meant I didn't get paid that day. 

I've also worked in a firm with multiple offices and a staff complement of almost 300 people; annual turnover in the high 9 digits; this was financial security. A corporate space where it was nearly impossible to get fired (thank you SA labour laws) - not that I was trying - but I could make mistakes; I could miss targets; I could take sick leave; I could be late for work and the worst was a verbal reprimand. Was I happy? You tell me...





  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Level up. Not a request.

Taking stock.

The One With The Fear