Catch 22

 The dangers of not giving a darn. I really want to use a word stronger than "darn", but I feel some responsibility to keeping this blog PG, at least. It's possibly the most dangerous mental space any human can be in. 

Indifference. 

[1a : marked by a lack of interest, enthusiasm, or concern for something : apathetic indifferent to suffering and poverty

b : marked by no special liking for or dislike of something; indifferent about which task he was given.]

What a head-space. Working hard because that's the back-bone you were born with; always giving your best because you have a strong work ethic, but hating so much of what you do and the reasons for doing it because you have a moral streak and you can do better for other people.

Catch 22?

 Maybe we just shouldn't have morals. Perhaps we're better off not wanting better, for ourselves or the world. With global warming and the chaos with a pandemic, maybe it's wiser trying not to live longer, the world might implode on itself any day now for all we know. So why not just binge Netflix, eat the chocolate and have that extra glass of wine?

Why bother?

If I think about my immediate life, however, there are so many things on my to-do list, not because I'm a slave to perfection and busy-ness (I have been guilty of this in the past though), but because I want things in my life, simply, to be nice. Un-broken. (Tangent: that makes me think of dystopian 1984 where they used the terms 'good' and 'ungood'.) The world and our personal worlds can be better. 

We need to make it so, though. Too many people live with indifference. "How do we change this?" you ask?

Ghandi-esque "be the change" vibes are not going to be enough. I think, more effectively, change will come when people feel inspired, cared for and valued; when the thing that fuels their passion is ignited and nurtured into a roaring, fear-inducing power. Then they will care, and this can be infectious. 

So, indifference conquered - because we should give a darn about the things that matter.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Level up. Not a request.

Taking stock.

The One With The Fear